CLICK TO JUMP TO SECTION
Group Language Class Tuition $490 (30 hours)*
On-Site Tutoring Cost $55/hour
Off-Site Tutoring Cost $65/hour
On-Site Group Tutoring Cost $45/hour
Offsite Group Tutoring Cost $55/hour
Skype Tutoring Cost $45/hour
*There in a $90 non-refundable registration fee included in tuition. Price does not include textbooks or other supplemental materials.
Group language classes are taught on weekday evenings. Currently, classes meet at the following days/times:*
6:15pm - 8:15pm 6:15pm - 8:15pm
*Times are subject to change by term
Attendance plays a critical role in student success in all classes. Satisfactory progress is difficult without regular attendance. All students are expected to attend class and arrive on time.
1. If a student is absent for a total of three times per class, MEI reserves the right to withdraw the student from the class. A withdrawal due to poor attendance will automatically result in a failing grade.
2. Makeup classes are not offered in the event that a student is absent. Students are responsible for making up all missed class work and for coming to class prepared following the absence. Please email
3. While MEI is serious regarding student attendance, we do empathize with students who encounter emergencies that interfere with class. We ask that students email us in advance in order for us to excuse the absence. Excused absences will not affect your grade.
4. Teachers monitor attendance on an MEI attendance sheet. These are submitted to the Center of Education staff to ensure attendance policies are being upheld by both students and teachers alike.
5. Teachers have the flexibility to cancel or reschedule classes for various reasons, including to personally observe religious holidays. In such an event, students will be notified in advance of the teacher's absence. Students are still entitled to their full 15 sessions, and the teacher will reschedule class on a date & time agreed upon by students. Typically, the class is added at the end of the term, extending it by the amount of days needed.
The Middle East Institute uses an A-F letter grade scale. Students must earn a final grade of C- or better to pass the course and be eligible for higher level courses. Instructors record all student grades per term and issue a final grade at the conclusion of the class. All grades are submitted to the director before grades are issued to students.
Grade Conversion Chart:
A 93 -100
B- 80 - 82
D+ 68 - 69
A- 90 - 92
C+ 78 - 79
D 63 - 67
B+ 88 - 89
C 73 - 77
D- 60 - 62
B 83 - 87
C- 70 - 72
F Below 60
Students may opt to take their class pass/fail; they must earn a grade of C- (70%) or higher to receive a “pass." Students must complete the Pass/Fail form prior to the term mid-point (8th class). Forms are available at the department office.
Auditing a Course
MEI prohibits auditing courses as it can have a negative impact on the progression of the class. A student may only audit a course with specific authorization by the Director of the Department and this will only be granted under special circumstances.
Courses at MEI are non-accredited.Please speak with your institution if you are trying to earn course credit. Transcripts and grade report requests may be submitted to [email protected].
Student Progress Policy
In order to progress through MEI’s language curriculum, students must earn a minimum passing grade of C- for all MEI language classes.
Students must pass each prerequisite level to advance to the next course. Students must begin at the introductory level unless they demonstrate that their language skills surpass class expectations.
All student progress records are based on attendance and grades earned for each particular class in which they are enrolled. The Center for Education staff tracks each student’s progress through its online tracking system. MEI will email official grade reports to students once teachers have submitted all grades to MEI. Students are notified of their academic eligibility status upon receiving their grade reports.
Refunds are calculated using the last day of attendance as recorded by the teacher. Refunds are issued within 15 calendar days of verbal and/or written notice to the department. There is a $90 registration fee included in the class price; this is non-refundable after first day of the term. Please refer below to determine which amount will be received, should a refund be requested.
Full Refund + Registration Fee Included
- MEI cancels a class
- Student withdraws from a class before the start date of the term
- Student withdraws from a class during the first week of class
- Student withdraws after week one, up until 15 hours of instruction or 50% of the course
- $90 registration fee is deducted before calculating the prorated amount
- Example: paid $490, prorate calculated from refundable $400
- Student withdraws after 15 hours of instruction or 50% of the course is completed
An administrative fee of $25 may be assessed for early termination. A confirmation e-mail will be sent upon request to withdraw. If you have not received confirmation, please call (202) 785-2710 or send an e-mail to [email protected]
Private tutors are available to provide instruction from 7am-10pm, Sunday - Saturday. Students will work out a personalized tutoring schedule when they are assigned a private tutor. Students are required to schedule tutoring sessions online on the language dashboard 24 hours in advance. If students schedule sessions less than 24 hours in advance, the tutor is not obligated to attend the session.
Cancellation & Fees
If a student wishes to cancel or reschedule a tutoring session, they must cancel at least 24 hours prior to the session. If the student does not cancel with a 24 hour notice, they will be charged a late fee equivalent to 1.5 hours of session time (ex: 1 hour of on-site cancelled = $82.50 late fee).
Unused credits and prepaid classes will be forfeited after six months from last attendance.
Student access to classrooms is available 15 minutes prior to the official start time of the class. If students arrive earlier than this, they have access to MEI’s garden courtyard during hours that the library is open. While waiting, please remain quiet and be respectful of other activities.
Bicycles and Phones
MEI has a small bicycle rack outside the front entrance to the building. Bicycles may not be brought into the building. Students are not permitted to use MEI telephones.
Inclement Weather Policy
In the case of inclement weather, the Middle East Institute normally closes when the Federal Government is closed. Please consult your local news or radio station to determine if the Government is closed. However, if there is a storm warning please check our website and/or your email for information, as MEI may decide not to hold classes that evening. If MEI cancels a class due to inclement weather, classes will be made up after the last scheduled week of class.