Click to jump to a section:
Group Language Class Tuition $490 (30 hours)*
On-Site Tutoring Cost $55/hour
Off-Site Tutoring Cost $65/hour
On-Site Group Tutoring Cost $45/hour
Offsite Group Tutoring Cost $55/hour
Skype Tutoring Cost $45/hour
*There in a $90 non-refundable registration fee included in tuition. Price does not include textbooks or other supplemental materials.
Group language classes are taught on weekday evenings. Currently, classes meet at the following days/times:*
6:15pm - 8:15pm 6:15pm - 8:15pm
*Times are subject to change by term
Attendance plays a critical role in student success in all classes. Satisfactory progress is difficult without regular attendance. All students are expected to attend class and arrive on time.
1. If a student is absent for a total of five times per course, MEI reserves the right to withdraw the student from the class. A withdrawal due to poor attendance will automatically result in a failing grade.
2. Makeup classes are not offered in the event that a student is absent. Students are responsible for making up all missed class work and for coming to class prepared following the absence. Please email
3. While MEI is serious regarding student attendance, we do empathize with students who encounter emergencies that interfere with class. We ask that students email us in advance in order for us to excuse the absence. Excused absences will not affect your grade. Excused absences include: work related travel, family emergencies, health conditions, military services and other circumstances communicated to the Center and the instructor in advance.
4. Teachers monitor attendance on an MEI attendance sheet. These are submitted to the Center of Education staff to ensure attendance policies are being upheld by both students and teachers alike. A= Absent. P=Present. T=Tardy. E=Early Departure. X=Excused Absence. Tardiness is defined as being late by over 15 minutes to class start time. Early departure is leaving the classroom before scheduled completion time.
5. Teachers have the flexibility to cancel or reschedule classes for various reasons, including to personally observe religious holidays. In such an event, students will be notified in advance of the teacher's absence. Students are still entitled to their full 15 sessions, and the teacher will reschedule class on a date & time agreed upon by students. Typically, the class is added at the end of the term, extending it by the amount of days needed.
It is our policy to evaluate student progress through the term by taking grades. The Middle East Institute uses an A-F letter grade scale. Students must earn a final grade of C- (70%) or better to pass the course and be eligible for higher level courses. Instructors record all student grades per term and issue a final grade at the conclusion of the class. All grades are submitted to the director before grades are issued to students.
Grade Conversion Chart:
A 93 -100
B- 80 - 82
D+ 68 - 69
A- 90 - 92
C+ 78 - 79
D 63 - 67
B+ 88 - 89
C 73 - 77
D- 60 - 62
B 83 - 87
C- 70 - 72
F Below 60
Students may opt to take their class pass/fail. Students will be graded as usual, with numerical values throughout the course, but their final grade will be transcribed as PASS if above 69% or FAIL if below 69%.
Auditing a Course
MEI prohibits auditing courses as it can have a negative impact on the progression of the class.
Courses at MEI are non-accredited. Students will be emailed their final overall course grade after completion of the class and taking of the final. Please the Education Center if you would like to receive a transcript of your class history, or for a course grade report, or completion certificate to
Student Progress Policy
In order to progress through MEI’s language curriculum, students must earn a minimum passing grade of C- for all MEI language classes.
Students must pass each prerequisite level to advance to the next course. Students must begin at the introductory level unless they demonstrate that their language skills surpass class expectations.
All student progress records are based on attendance and grades earned for each particular class in which they are enrolled. The Center for Education staff tracks each student’s progress through attendance and grade sheets completed by MEI teaching faculty.
Refunds are calculated using the last day of attendance as recorded by the teacher. Refunds are issued within 15 calendar days of verbal and/or written notice to the department. There is a $90 registration fee included in the class price; this is non-refundable after first day of the term. Please refer below to determine which amount will be received, should a refund be requested.
Full Refund + Registration Fee Included
MEI cancels a class
Student withdraws from a class before the start date of the term
Student withdraws from a class during the first week of class
Student withdraws after week one, up until 15 hours of instruction or 50% of the course
$90 registration fee is deducted before calculating the prorated amount
Example: paid $490, prorate calculated from refundable $400
Student withdraws after 15 hours of instruction or 50% of the course is completed
Private tutors are available to provide instruction from 7am-10pm, Sunday - Saturday. Students will work out a personalized tutoring schedule when they are assigned a private tutor. Students are required to schedule tutoring sessions online on the language dashboard 24 hours in advance. If students schedule sessions less than 24 hours in advance, the tutor is not obligated to attend the session.
Cancellation & Fees
If a student wishes to cancel or reschedule a tutoring session, they must cancel at least 24 hours prior to the session. If the student does not cancel with a 24 hour notice, they will be charged a late fee equivalent to 1.5 hours of session time (ex: 1 hour of on-site cancelled = $82.50 late fee).
Unused credits and prepaid classes will be forfeited after one year from last attendance.
Student access to classrooms is available 15 minutes prior to the official start time of the class. While waiting, please remain quiet and be respectful of other activities.
Inclement Weather Policy
In the case of inclement weather, the Middle East Institute normally closes when the Federal Government is closed. Please consult your local news or radio station to determine if the Government is closed. However, if there is a storm warning please check our website and/or your email for information, as MEI may decide not to hold classes that evening. If MEI cancels a class due to inclement weather, classes will be made up after the last scheduled week of class.